February 12 2015

What is Discipline?

We’ve been reading in the Watsons about the parents having a hard time getting their son Byron to behave. Read some of the following articles on discipline and post a comment about your feelings on the issue.

Miniseries Explores the Ugly Fallout of a Disciplinary “Slap”

Getting Spanked, and Cared For

Is Corporal Punishment Abuse?

Types of Child Discipline

Creative Ways to Teach Your Child Discipline

The Difference Between Discipline and Child Abuse

Posted February 12, 2015 by missnichols in category Language Arts, Miss Nichols' posts

About the Author

I am a teacher of 6th grade honors language arts and math at Jane Addams Middle School in Lawndale, CA.

26 thoughts on “What is Discipline?

1. Omar A.

To me discipline is when someone does something bad and needs a timeout.

For Example,when I get bad grades my mom takes every fun away.

Reply
  2. Han N.

I think in discipline, parents should teach their children to not do something, than to hit them. For example, in the article, ¨ Types of child Discipline,¨ it said that, ¨ Kids need to explore behavior and learn from harmless mistakes.

Reply
  3. Rosa Ga

I found out what is discipline and found out that it meant= To teach,and develop foundation for self discipline It should focus on teaching not punishment.

Reply
  4. Akarawin P.

In one of the articles, it said a normal fear of children is leather ( because of the whupping) and the paddle. I hardly get disciplined because I behave, but I did see what happened with my little brother. He doesn’t behave at all. Last year, he spilled water all over the plugs and my dad say what happened and told him to come into his room.( This is where it gets a little… scary.) I hear the metal clanking of a belt and….’WHACK!’ I didnt want to see what happened and I didn’t want to think about it. After that, my brother knows NOT to bring food and/ or water into the room.

Reply
  5. Stephanie

I believe that by beating a child they may learn to behave. They only behave like this because of how scared they are of how bad they will get whipped or spanked. This DOES leave a mark, not the mark on their butt cheeks, but a mark inside of them thinking, but WHY? Its pain that these kids have to feel at a young age. Beating a child is against the law, but yet people beat their child

Reply
  6. Prince E.

You really must discipline them that way.So your child won’t bring bad behavior in the house.You gave great information about discipline.Thank you for this information and I hope you suceed in what your trying to prove.

Reply
  7. Julissa

I think it’s not correct or responsible for a parent to not show their kids what is right and what’s wrong I think the best way to show them that is by talking it out with them. Hitting them isn’t the only way to show them the right and wrong things.

Reply
  8. Crystal M.

I think Discipline means when you do something really bad and then your parents would spank you with a belt or with a switch which would leave you marks where ever they hit you. For example, I read a story that said that when it came to discipline he would get hit with a switch which is something you would get hit with and would leave you marks. So this shows that when ever you did something really bad you would get spanked or get hit with a switch. Like in the stories “The Watsons go to Birmingham.” In that story Byron’s mom warned him to not use matches anymore but he kept using them. And when he was using him his mom got mad. So she was going to burn his fingers so he won’t use matches anymore. But she didn’t burn his fingers. but i think she did that so she could scare Byron so he won’t use matches in the house anymore. Because he can burn the whole house down.

Reply
  9. Christ N

Discipline means a way to teach children to behave. It is a way to help teach your child virtues like humility, self-control, respect, patience and concentration . you can learn these virtues with an activity like martial arts or help them learn other virtues or aspects with like a waiting game.

Reply
  10. MauriceH

I think that Discipline is when kids do something bad and the parent has to spank them in a article i read it said that it is bad and can backfire to injuring children.Kids can learn without getting spanked or yelled at when kids get yelled at it can lead to them getting angry and listen less to what the parents have to say.

Reply
  11. Mary

I think that the best way to teach a child discipline is by taking away a toy or by not letting them have a snack, but spanking or any physical contact that requires striking at the child I consider abuse.

Reply
  12. Matthew S

Discipline in children is punishing your child, but it can be done without violence. For example, violence can cause anger and fear in the child, which can cause them to misbehave again, like how Brandon McFairland said he was angry with his dad for using the belt. Also , in The difference between child abuse and discipline, they mentioned in AskDr.Sears.com, how child abuse can plant seeds for later violent behavior. I think the best method for discipline is without violence.

Reply
  13. Isaac

I think child discipline is a way to teach kids to behave. I think this because in the articles it said that many people got disciplined by being hit and it taught them respect. This makes me think that a lot of people are fine being disciplined.

Reply
  14. silvia

in the story i read was about a little boy who got his first wuppen when he was 8 years old. He wanted to go back into the past and change what ever bad thing he did back then so his dad wouldn’t hit him. This boy was scared of leather. he was scared of leather because that’s what his dad used to hit him with. he also thought that when parents hurt there kids they might care about how they act.
    to me discipline is when some one doesn’t behave properly

Reply
  15. Carlos

I think that the best way to discipline a child is slapping them upside the head,not to hard,not to soft, and to teach them how to respect an adult and how to behave,if some child takes it that far then, yeah they deserve it, but by there own parent.

Reply
  16. Johana

I think that children should be disciplined without spanking. I think this because when the child grows up they will be afraid of whatever they got hit with.I can relate to this because my cousin got spanked and he was afraid of the belt.

Reply
  17. Daniel O.

There are 2 ways of discipline.There is violent and Physical.I read a passage about a kid that his dad hits him in public and at Home.The mom doesn’t do anything except talk to the kid.I Think the key of the passage was that child abuse is wrong

Reply
  18. Brianna R

After reading the 2 articles about discipline i learned that there are 2 types of parents, there are those parents that discipline their children so that they can choose the right path in life and there are those other parents who don’t care about their children’s actions. For example in the article that miss.nichols showed us is that parents should discipline their children to have a better like so that they can learn right from wrong.

Reply
  19. Jasmine V

I think Discipline is a way to teach a child what is right from wrong.In a article it said that “Discipline means to teach kids right from wrong.”I think this means that to tell a child to not do it again.

Reply
  20. Ayla A

Based on Types of Child Discipline, I think physical discipline can be the worst thing for a child because the child can lash out on other kids,or in later years. I prefer moderate because it creates a trust bond that is necessary for teenage years.

Reply
  21. Jared H.

After reading two articles on discipline I learned that there are parents that hit their kids and parents that talk to them.I think that parents should hit their child if out of hand because in my family it doesn’t work if we just get a good talking to.In the article I read one kid talked about why he was scared of leather.He was scared of leather because when he was a kid his dad always whipped him with a leather belt.After that he knew not to do wrong.This shows that getting whipped helps kids understand that they shouldn’t do wrong.

Reply
  22. Jonathan Mo

I think the summary 0f creative ways to discipline your child is really good because instead of letting your kids become anti-social you actually talk to them at a stop light.I also think kids should be scared of getting in trouble because they will not like getting hit or phones taken away if they do get in trouble

Reply
  23. Alexis S

I learned that discipline is a punishment to some people and other parents give their parents a beating. In the text it said that a famous football player gave child abuse to his son with a switch. It was normal to some people because they were “black” and some people thought it was child abuse. This shows that people think differently about discipline.

Reply