Tuesday 9/12/17 – Language Arts
Good Morning, Class!
Please take out:
- Things I Want to Read list
- independent reading book
- in-class Reading Log
Per. 1 (8:15-9:09)
Reading Minute: Chasing Eveline by Leslie Hauser
STAR Reading Test (on Chromebooks):
- addams.lawndalesd.net –> students –> student quicklinks –> STAR Reading login
When finished do silent reading.
Learning Target: Students will be able to sustain focus on reading and using context clues to determine the meaning of new words.
Write date, title, and starting page in Reading Log and begin reading.
Continue videoing One-Sentence Project presentations
Write ending page and summary (Big Thing That Happened) and one new word plus your predicted meaning.
Per. 2 (9:12-10:00)
Learning Target: Students will be able to access prior knowledge about annotation, context clues, and reading comprehension strategies to access and understand a text.
Logging in on StudySync: First-Read – Eleven
- Review vocab predictions
- Read and annotate text (goal is to become independent on this):
- YELLOW – use context clues to analyze and determine the meaning of the bolded vocabulary terms and to highlight any unfamiliar vocabulary
- RED – ask questions about passages of the text that may be unclear or unresolved
- identify key setting details (ORANGE), events (GREEN), characters (PURPLE), and connections between them
- BLUE – capture reactions to the events
- Read 20+ pages and log in agenda:
- p. ____ to p. ____
- Big Thing that Happened (1-2 sentences: Who? What? When? Where?)
- Parent signature
Per. 3 (10:03-10:51)
Learning Target: Students will be able to explain the effects of multitasking on effective use of time and strategies to manage distraction.